to collect cashback
St Johns Wart
What is St Johns wart?
St Johns wart sometimes referred to as Hypericum is a wild, yellow flowering plant native to Europe. All parts of the plant above the soil have been used for thousands of years for its many health purposes and is often heralded as one of the most popular herbal remedies in the world.
St Johns wart contains a number of chemical compounds, which may help relieve low mood and anxiety such as, flavanols and xanthones, hypericin, hyperforin as they are thought to work in a similar way to antidepressant medicines.
What can St Johns wart be used for?
St Johns wart is used for a variety of health conditions owing to its therapeutic benefits and can be taken orally in dietary supplements. St Johns wart can be used to treat a number of human ailments, typically these include:
- Anxiety – St Johns wart may help relieve anxiety disorder
- Depression – St Johns wart as long been used to treat mild depression although similar further studies are required, some suggest it is similar to taking anti depressant but the evidence is not conclusive.
- Insomnia – St Johns wart can be used as an effective sleep aid
- Fluid retention - St Johns wart can help reduce water retention
- Haemorrhoids – Owing to St Johns warts anti-inflammatory properties it may help relieve the burning and stinging associated with haemorrhoids
- Stomach upsets – St Johns wart can help treat mild stomach upset
- Pains – St Johns wart may help alleviate muscle and joint pain
- Inflammation –St Johns wart may help reduce inflammation owing to its anti-inflammatory properties
- Skin wounds and burns – Owing to St Johns warts antibacterial properties when applied topically it may help relieve skin wounds, burns and insect bites.
- Menopause – St Johns wart may help treat symptoms of menopause including hot flushes and low mood levels
St Johns wart is most commonly available in tablet, capsules, chews, liquid extracts, teas and tincture, in addition to this it can also be applied topically as a lotion or cream, for a range of St Johns wart products and supplements be sure to browse The Health Bay.+Read More -Read Less